Jambalaya Recipe | Diethood
This one-pot jambalaya recipe is simple, scrumptious, and satisfying because of the addition of rooster, shrimp, and spicy andouille sausage. You’re half-hour away from a Mardi Gras dinner that the entire household will love!
Simple Home made Jambalaya Recipe
Jambalaya is my go-to winter stew! In the course of the winter season, I make this jambalaya recipe about as soon as a month. When the climate’s chilly, there’s nothing higher than a hearty consolation meals dinner with somewhat bit of warmth to heat you up inside and outside!
My jambalaya is flavorful and filling, and it’s additionally the right casserole for feeding a crowd. It’s a flexible dish that may be adjusted to fit your private taste preferences, and it actually is a wonderful recipe for those who prefer to strive new issues.
Jambalaya is a well-liked Creole and Cajun dish with African, Spanish, and French influences. As a result of it originated in Louisiana, it’s usually related to Mardi Gras, however there’s no purpose you possibly can’t eat it year-round. (And belief me, you will wish to!)
It’s usually ready with rooster, shrimp or crawfish, andouille sausage, and rice, though there are all types of variations on the basic. The meat-and-rice combo is flavored with the Cajun holy trinity—onion, celery, and inexperienced pepper—together with herbs, spices, and diced tomatoes.
Along with being the final word consolation meals, this jambalaya recipe can be the final word one-pot dinner. You’ve received your veggies, your meat, and your starch multi functional handy pot. We’re speaking a good weeknight dinner right here, mates!
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a rundown of the substances you’ll want for this jambalaya recipe. Scroll all the way down to the recipe card for the portions and recipe directions.
- Yellow onion
- Celery ribs
- Bell peppers: Inexperienced is the basic selection for a jambalaya recipe, however you need to use crimson, orange, or yellow for those who choose.
- Boneless skinless rooster breasts: I like boneless skinless rooster breasts as a result of they’re really easy to work with, however you may as well use a distinct minimize of rooster.
Candy paprika: Candy paprika is good, smoked paprika is scrumptious too, however keep away from sizzling paprika until you need your jambalaya tremendous spicy!
- Andouille sausage: Reduce the sausage into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Tomato paste: In case you purchase a can for this recipe, freeze the remainder in 1-tablespoon parts, pop them in a freezer bag, and also you received’t want to purchase a brand new can subsequent time you want tomato paste!
- Low-sodium fats free rooster broth: Rooster inventory will also be used, however as a result of inventory is unseasoned, you’ll want so as to add extra salt to the recipe.
- Diced tomatoes
- Lengthy grain rice
- Cajun seasoning: Cajun seasoning can carry plenty of warmth, so be at liberty to regulate to your liking.
- Shrimp: Peel and devein the shrimp.
What Type of Sausage is Andouille?
Andouille is a Cajun smoked sausage made with pork, onions, pepper, and different seasonings. It’s coarse-grained, and it may be fairly spicy, relying on the range you purchase.
Methods to Make Jambalaya
It’s time to roll up your sleeves and make this hearty jambalaya recipe! Right here’s what you’ll must do.
- Put together. Warmth the oil in a big Dutch oven set over medium warmth.
- Cook dinner the trinity. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the Dutch oven and season with salt and pepper. Cook dinner for 4 minutes or till simply softened. Stir in garlic and cook dinner for 1 minute.
- Add the rooster. Stir within the rooster, candy paprika, and oregano and cook dinner for five minutes, or till the rooster is properly browned on all sides.
- Add the subsequent a number of substances. Add the sausage and tomato paste; stir and cook dinner for 1 minute, then add the rooster broth, crushed tomatoes, rice, and cajun seasoning. Convey the combination to a boil.
- Simmer. Scale back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot. Cook dinner for 20 minutes, or till the rice is tender and a lot of the liquid is absorbed.
- End. Add the shrimp and cook dinner for 4 to five minutes, or till it’s pink and cooked by way of. Take away from warmth, garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and dried parsley, then serve.
As you possibly can see, this jambalaya recipe is simple. That stated, these extra ideas will allow you to make it good!
- Can’t discover andouille sausage? You should utilize a distinct sort of smoked sausage like kielbasa or chorizo.
- Keep watch over the rice. After 10 minutes, elevate the lid of the Dutch oven and take a peek. If it appears dry, add extra rooster broth.
- Don’t overcook it. Jambalaya isn’t a saucy dish, nevertheless it isn’t a dry rice dish both, so don’t look forward to all the liquid to soak up. As quickly because the rice is tender, you possibly can transfer onto the subsequent step of the recipe.
- Modify it to your liking. Cajun meals is thought for being spicy, however you possibly can at all times make this jambalaya recipe on the milder aspect after which let everybody modify the warmth for their very own particular person servings by including Tabasco or additional Cajun seasoning.
Jambalaya is a whole meal with protein, greens, and grains multi functional pot. Serve it as-is, or high it with additional inexperienced onions, parsley, or sizzling sauce. In case you’d like so as to add a aspect, serve this jambalaya recipe with a small salad to maintain it gentle and wholesome or with some cornbread and an acidic crimson wine like Pinot Noir or Zinfandel.
Methods to Retailer and Reheat Leftover Jambalaya
- Leftover jambalaya may be saved in an hermetic container and refrigerated for as much as 3 days. To reheat, place the jambalaya in a saucepan over medium-low warmth with a splash of water or broth and gently stir till heated by way of—or simply pop it within the microwave!
Can I Freeze Jambalaya?
- Sure, you possibly can freeze jambalaya for as much as 3 months. Retailer it in an hermetic container or freezer bag; let it thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than serving, then reheat it over medium-low warmth. If it’s dry, stir in a number of tablespoons of broth or water.
Extra Cajun-Impressed Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (you may as well use crimson, inexperienced, yellow, and many others.)
- salt and contemporary floor black pepper, to style
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless rooster breasts, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, or to style
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 inexperienced onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- chopped contemporary parsley, for garnish
In a big Dutch oven warmth olive oil over medium warmth.
Add onions, celery, and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper.
Cook dinner for 4 minutes, or till simply tender. Stir in garlic and cook dinner for 1 minute.
Stir in rooster and add candy paprika and oregano.
Cook dinner for five minutes, or till rooster is browned on all sides.
Stir within the sliced sausage and tomato paste; cook dinner for 1 minute.
Add rooster broth, crushed tomatoes, rice and cajun seasoning.
Convey combination to a boil; cut back warmth to medium low and canopy the pot with a lid.
Cook dinner for 20 minutes, or till rice is tender and a lot of the liquid is absorbed.
Add the shrimp and cook dinner for 3 to 4 minutes or till the shrimp is pink and cooked by way of.
Take away from warmth.
Garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and dried parsley.
- Rooster: I exploit boneless, skinless rooster breasts, however this tastes nice with boneless, skinless rooster thighs, too.
- Andouille Sausage: In case you can’t discover andouille sausage or wish to strive one thing totally different, you need to use polish kielbasa or chorizo.
- Rice: Lengthy grain rice is your best option for jambalaya because it cooks up fluffy and separate, creating a greater texture.
- Broth: Use a wealthy rooster (or seafood) broth to cook dinner your jambalaya. This may add depth and extra taste to the dish.
- Seasonings: Modify the substances and seasonings to fit your tastes.
Energy: 365 kcal | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Protein: 27 g | Fats: 13 g | Saturated Fats: 4 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 498 mg | Potassium: 839 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 6 g | Vitamin A: 1749 IU | Vitamin C: 62 mg | Calcium: 65 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 32 g
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might range in accordance with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.