Rooster Katsu (Japanese Panko Rooster)
Splendidly golden and crispy, this simple rooster katsu is loaded with taste from a few secret elements. Drizzled with tonkatsu sauce, it’s the proper Japanese side-turned-main dish.
Simple Japanese Rooster Katsu Recipe
Rooster Katsu is a basic Japanese dish ready with crispy deep-fried rooster and pairs deliciously with tonkatsu sauce. With sesame seeds within the breading, this simple rooster katsu is completely juicy and comes with a pop of coloration that units it other than most katsu.
Prepared in lower than half-hour, it’s stunning how a lot taste this straightforward recipe packs. With a little bit of dashi, garlic powder, and floor ginger within the eggs and breading station, this Japanese panko rooster will steal all of the highlight. Don’t fear about it ever getting boring— you may make it with pork and even add some warmth with Sriracha!
Dip it in Japanese mayo and serve it over fluffy rice for the most effective katsu you’ve ever had. This fast recipe is proof that small kitchen cheats and a few elements can go a good distance in making your weekday meals so much yummier with none further effort.
What Is Katsu?
Japanese katsu refers to any deep-fried, breaded cutlet. It’s made with rooster, pork, beef, and even fish. Katsu is normally sliced and drizzled with numerous sauces and condiments like tonkatsu sauce or Japanese mayo. It’s usually served as a facet or a predominant dish.
Don’t skip the panko! It’s what makes this katsu so crispy. Verify the recipe card on the backside of the submit for full ingredient quantities.
- Boneless, skinless rooster breasts
- Dashi: Be happy to go away it out, nevertheless it provides glorious depth.
- All-purpose flour: Cornstarch will even work.
- Floor ginger: Don’t use recent ginger.
- Garlic powder: No recent garlic.
- Plain panko: If it’s seasoned, make sure that it’s not an Italian taste.
- Black sesame seeds: These add a pleasant pop of coloration, however white sesame seeds are additionally okay to make use of.
- Vegetable oil: Canola and corn oil are good substitutes. No olive oil as a result of its smoke level is decrease.
- Tonkatsu sauce
- Japanese mayo: You need to use full-fat mayo as an alternative.
With these simple variations of rooster katsu, you may create a number of dishes from the identical base recipe.
- Serve it over udon. Make your favourite udon recipe and place the sliced katsu on prime for an extra-filling meal.
- Make it spicy. Drizzle the katsu with Sriracha or add 2 1/2 teaspoons of shichimi togarashi chili powder into the panko to make it further spicy.
- Add miso. Add 2 tablespoons of miso paste to the whisked eggs and blend properly. It provides saltiness and umami.
- Use pork. So long as the cutlets are the identical thickness, you may swap the rooster for pork.
Methods to Make Rooster Katsu
Making katsu is rather like making breaded or fried rooster however with a Japanese twist. Verify the Ideas part for further steering and cheats.
For the Breading Station
- Put together the rooster. Place the rooster on a chopping board and canopy it with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound it till it’s 1/2″ thick. Discard the parchment paper and set the rooster apart. Be sure all of your items are kind of the identical measurement and thickness.
- Whisk the eggs. Crack the eggs in a small bowl and add the dashi powder. Whisk till properly mixed.
- Put together the flour. Add the flour, floor ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to a flattened plate. Combine till properly mixed.
- Combine the panko. In a separate plate or bowl, whisk the panko, remaining garlic powder, and sesame seeds till properly mixed.
For Frying the Katsu
- Warmth the oil. Add about 3 to 4 cups of vegetable oil to a pot for frying. Set it over medium warmth and wait till it reaches 350˚F.
- Dredge the rooster. Coat the rooster with flour and dredge it into the egg combination. Then place it within the panko combination. Even after absolutely coated, proceed urgent further panko everywhere in the rooster.
- Fry it. Gently decrease one nook of the rooster into the oil. If it sizzles instantly, add a couple of rooster items to the pot. Allow them to fry for a number of minutes, flipping midway via or till golden brown. Repeat for all of the rooster.
- Cool and serve. Take away the rooster from the oil and set it on a wire rack to chill. Let it relaxation for a couple of minutes earlier than slicing. Sprinkle with salt to style, lower it into 3/4″ strips, and serve.
Ideas for Success
The following pointers will up your katsu sport like a professional:
- Marinate the rooster. Combine 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of water, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, and a pair of tablespoons of rice wine vinegar till properly mixed. Pour the combination right into a bowl and place the rooster inside. Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for six hours. Discard the marinade and start with the recipe.
- Purchase cutlets. Utilizing store-bought cutlets and even having your butcher slice and flatten the rooster for you’ll prevent a lot of prep time.
- Don’t overcook it. It’s essential to take away the katsu from the oil as soon as it’s golden brown on all sides. When you overcook it, the rooster will probably be dry, not juicy.
- Let the oil relaxation. Give the oil a ten to twenty second resting time in between frying batches in order that the temperature stays fixed.
What to Serve With Japanese Panko Rooster
My favourite approach to serve this rooster katsu is over a mattress of Immediate Pot Jasmine Rice with a easy cucumber salad for a little bit of freshness. When you’re craving a extra take-out type meal, strive it with my Shrimp Fried Rice or Simple Rooster Fried Rice Recipe.
It’s additionally nice with a facet of my Pepper Steak Stir Fry Recipe, Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Bites, and Asian Rooster Noodle Soup.
Methods to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate any absolutely cooled leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days. Don’t retailer it longer than this so to cut back the danger of meals poisoning.
- To reheat it, preheat the oven to 425˚F and place the katsu in a baking tray. Let it warmth for 10 to fifteen minutes or till crispy once more.
- For one thing a little bit faster, pop the katsu into the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or till heat. Sadly, the microwave technique gained’t yield crispy outcomes.
Can I Freeze This?
- Sure, however provided that it’s raw. When you coat it in panko, place the breaded rooster on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Freeze it for two hours after which switch it into freezer-friendly luggage or containers.
- Freeze for as much as 3 months.
- Don’t thaw it earlier than cooking or the panko will soften. Warmth the oil as traditional and thoroughly decrease the frozen cutlets into the pot, including 1 to 2 minutes of additional frying time as wanted till the katsu is golden brown.
Extra Asian-Impressed Recipes
Place the rooster on a chopping board and canopy it with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound it to 1/2-inch thickness. Discard the parchment paper and set the rooster apart.
Crack the eggs in a small bowl and add the dashi powder. Whisk till properly mixed.
Add the flour, floor ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to a shallow plate. Combine till properly mixed.
In a separate plate or bowl, whisk the panko, remaining garlic powder, and sesame seeds till properly mixed.
Add vegetable oil to a deep frying pan. Set it over medium warmth and wait till the temperature of the oil reaches 350˚F. Use a kitchen thermometer to check the temperature.
Press the rooster into the flour till it is fully coated on all sides. Subsequent, dredge it within the egg combination. Then place it within the panko combination. Even after absolutely coated, proceed urgent further panko everywhere in the rooster.
Add 2 cutlets of rooster into the pot. Allow them to fry for five to six minutes, flipping midway via, or till golden brown and absolutely cooked. Repeat with the remainder of the rooster.
Take away the rooster from the oil and set it on a wire rack to chill. Let it relaxation for a couple of minutes earlier than slicing.
Sprinkle with salt to style after which slice it into 1/2-inch strips.
Drizzle with tonkatsu sauce, dip in Japanese mayo, and revel in.
- Rooster: You have to boneless skinless rooster breasts, however for much less prep time, I counsel grabbing rooster cutlets as an alternative.
- Dashi powder creates a savory umami taste. When you don’t have or can’t discover dashi powder, you need to use a teaspoon of darkish soy sauce.
- Oil for Frying: Use vegetable oil, canola, or peanut oil. Don’t use olive oil as a result of it has a decrease smoke level.
- Don’t overcook the rooster. When the rooster’s inside temperature registers at 165˚F, take away it from the oil. When you overcook it, the rooster will probably be dry and never juicy.
Energy: 441 kcal | Carbohydrates: 88 g | Protein: 35 g | Fats: 16 g | Saturated Fats: 3 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3 g | Trans Fats: 0.02 g | Ldl cholesterol: 192 mg | Sodium: 492 mg | Potassium: 544 mg | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 0.3 g | Vitamin A: 170 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 85 mg | Iron: 3 mg | Internet Carbs: 84 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in accordance with the elements and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.